At our family clinic we focus on excellence, integrity, and quality health care!
Complete Wellness Testing and Screening Services for the Greater Odessa, Midland, Pecos & Monahans, TX Area
If you’re looking for a common-sense approach to improving your overall health and getting wellness advice, health screenings, or preventative care, call First Physicians in Odessa, Texas. First Physicians has 5 conveniently located clinics: Wendover Family Medicine, Westview Medical Clinic, East University Family Medicine, Women’s Health, and Occupational Medical Testing.
Call First Physicians and schedule a wellness visit today.
Wellness & Preventative Care Q&A
Q: What are wellness and preventative care?
A: Wellness and preventative care encompass a broad range of health topics to help keep your body and mind in top shape. Medical advice and care in the areas of wellness and prevention include the following:
- Eating a healthier diet that includes proper nutrients to help prevent illness
- Strategies to maintain a healthy weight for your height and body frame
- Tips on how to get more exercise
- Routine vaccinations to prevent diseases
- Travel vaccines and prophylactic — preventative — medications
- Smoking cessation
- Health screening tests for acute and chronic diseases
- Alcohol and substance abuse screenings
- Emotional and mental health screenings
Q: Why are wellness and preventative care important?
Staying informed about your medical status is important for many reasons. If you suspect something is wrong, getting a prompt screening can inform you sooner of a potential health issue or condition, thus allowing you to start treatment as soon as possible. It's impossible to overstate the seriousness of this: in some cases, early diagnosis or regular preventative care can literally make the difference between life and death. In other cases, treatment can be less intensive or even cheaper.
Q: What can I expect from a wellness screening?
Different conditions require different procedures. Many STI tests require a urine test or a blood test; other conditions can be diagnosed by examining the patient. Contact our office to learn more about what to expect from your screening.
Q: What types of illnesses and diseases can I be screened for at First Physicians?
A: A combination of lab tests and physical exams can check for many types of illnesses such as, but not limited to the following:
- High cholesterol
- Kidney disease
- High blood pressure
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, syphilis, HPV chlamydia, and gonorrhea
- PSA: Prostate specific antigen, for men
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic tests: where family histories of breast, ovarian, or peritoneal cancers are a concern
- Cervical cancer screening for females
- Body mass index (BMI)
Other diagnostic tests may be advised depending on your age, gender, family, and medical history such as the following:
- Osteoporosis screening
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening
- Carotid artery screening
- TB test
- Chest X-ray
- Depression screening
- Oral cancer screening
- Skin cancer screening
- Lung cancer screening
Q: What types of vaccines does First Physicians offer?
A: When some people hear the word “vaccine,” they think only of infants and children. However, adults need vaccines too. First Physicians offers vaccines for both children and adults. Many of the vaccines for children and adults have the same name and provide protection against the same illnesses, but some are different or have a different administration schedule. Some of the vaccines we offer include the following:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Annual flu: Influenza
- HPV: Human papilloma virus
- Meningococcal: Meningitis
- Pneumococcal: Pneumonia
- MMR: Measles, mumps, and rubella
- HIB: Haemophilus influenzae type b
- Td/Tdap: Tetanus/tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis
HZV: Herpes zoster virus, shingles virus, for adults over 60